Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Take Two

Let me tell you, a LOT of things happened between birth one and pregnancy two, but here we are pregnant again!

This time is going to be so much better! I have been through childbirth once already, I know more of what I am doing, and I know I don't want an epidural. I am also very afraid of having a large baby again (Franklin was 9lb 1oz). I will stick with the same OB that I used last time. They're really nice and surely they will be behind my choices 100%!

So here we go! The pregnancy is going great and I don't really need any gear. In fact, I have found that I didn't need half of the gear I got for Franklin. The 18 week ultrasound looks great even though they couldn't tell whether the baby is a boy or girl. The only thing they are concerned about is size. The second baby is usually bigger than the first, they say.

We are nearing the end of the pregnancy, two weeks to go! The OB says that the baby feels big. She would feel more comfortable inducing at 39 weeks. I am also very concerned about having a big baby, so I don't protest much.

Week 39 and the morning of the induction arrives. I know the drill...IV, fluids, monitors, bed. I have informed the nurse that I want to try to labor without an epidural. As the contractions start to pick up, the nurse makes it her personal goal to remind me at each peak that an epidural is available for me if I should want it. Eventually, she gives up and leaves me with Frank to labor in peace. I am not allowed out of the bed, and I can't move much or the monitors will not be able to pick up the heart rate and contractions like they need to. Still, I have elevated the bed until I am in a semi-decent position.

The contractions are really intense now. So intense that I am just barely grasping at the edge of feeling in control. I am definitely starting to lose it fast. If I had done my homework, I would have realized that this was transition. Just that little glimmer of encouraging information would have been enough to help me through to the end. All of a sudden the nurse comes scurrying into the room. "The anesthesiologist is leaving the hospital for the day. This is your last chance for an epidural! I would really suggest you reconsider!" I agree to let her check me to see how far I am progressing. Being on my back is torturous, and the check shows that I have progressed only to 4, maybe 5 cm. I think to myself that there is no way that I can make it another 5 cm in this much pain and worry that I have several hours to go this way like I did with Franklin's birth. I finally consent to the epidural. I can barely hold still for the process, but soon it is over and I am now laying back in the bed. The nurse leaves saying to call if we need anything.

My pain level has not really been lessened by the epidural, and now I can not use my legs at all to change positions. Frank asks if he should call the nurse. I say, "And tell her what? Childbirth hurts?" A few moments later though, I feel like pushing. I tell Frank to quickly call the nurse. She is sure that I must just need my bladder emptied, but she checks me anyway. At that point her eyes widen and she yells, "DON'T push!". She runs out of the room to call my OB. Luckily, my OB happened to be nearby. She ran into the room just in time to help the baby out onto the bed. She didn't even have time to put on her scrubs.

At that moment I am furious that I had an epidural when the baby was born at the most, 30 minutes later. Then, Frank tells me that it is a girl! I am then so overwhelmed with excitement for this sweet little baby girl that we will name Karlie.

It really was a better birth than the first, but I still can't help but thinking, next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment


Custom Search

Followers